“Future smile” is a term that sounds a little strange. Exactly how is it going to be different from your present smile – and why does it matter? It matters because it could (no joke) change so much about you. In truth, determining your future smile is a big responsibility. Making tweaks to your teeth could bring about significant changes in other areas of your life. But how do you know exactly what those changes should be? With the help of a little research, some self-reflection, and great cosmetic dentists, you’ll be able to visualize your ideal pearly whites.
Stop and Think: What Does Your Perfect Smile Look Like?
This question is tricky to answer. For one thing, there’s no way to see exactly what different treatments would look like once applied to your smile. For another, everyone’s teeth are uniquely suited to them – transferring one person’s smile to your own may not result in an ideal look. But you can still look to other grins for inspiration. Take some time to investigate your own teeth, and decide just what it is that you want to change. Then look to friends and family members to see which teeth you admire, and try to find some common threads between them.
Your dentist will also help you decide on the right plan, and won’t lead you astray. Aesthetic dentists spend their careers becoming experts on different faces and smiles. They know which ones work, and how to make yours perfection. Your dentist will also help you decide which treatment will work best for your needs and goals. If you’re anxious about treatment, there are less-invasive options that will still result in a transformation.
Achieving Goals with Cosmetic Dentistry
A “smile makeover” involves a group of procedures that effect various changes. The end result is something that’s different from your initial teeth, but still natural- and unique-looking. Whether you’re interested in a smile overhaul, or are just hoping to make subtle changes, the following treatments could be a part of your cosmetic plan:
- Teeth whitening – Whitening is pretty self-explanatory: everyone knows how it works. But its results can be more impressive than you expect. In fact, some patients who were initially seeking extensive dental work find that whitening provides all they wished for. With a whiter smile, you simply stand out – and you’re more comfortable showing off your teeth, making you more comfortable in social and professional situations.
- Dental bonding – Bonding is a great option for anxious patients seeking cosmetic dentistry. It’s quick, comfortable, and often prep-free (meaning no drilling or anesthesia). During bonding, tooth-colored composite material is attached to your teeth and hardened in place. This can result in a whiter smile, improved tooth sensitivity, closure of gaps between teeth, and covered cracks and chips.
- Porcelain veneers – Veneers are thin shells that are bonded over the surfaces of natural teeth. They’re used to change the shape and shade of teeth, and to strengthen them by providing a new outer layer.
- Invisalign – Invisalign is the adult-friendly orthodontic treatment that uses clear aligner trays. As patients switch to new aligners every few weeks, their teeth gradually straighten. With Invisalign, you’re able to straighten front teeth to improve your smile and oral health.
- Porcelain Crowns – Crowns are more substantial than veneers, replacing a greater amount of tooth structure. They look like caps, and fit onto remaining portions of natural teeth. Porcelain crowns improve the appearance of severely damaged teeth without detracting from your smile.
Your Glen Burnie Cosmetic Dentists
Looking for a talented cosmetic dentist? Our practice offers expertise and an attentive, caring team. Get in touch to schedule a consultation and experience Maryland Family Dentistry for yourself.